Carnation Elementary School

Frequently Asked Questions

What time does school start and end?

Daily schedule:


Students arrive anytime between 9:15am and 9:25am




Grades K - 5 Dismissal

8:45am -4:15pm

Office hours

Students should not arrive at school before 9:15am. There is no morning supervision, and we cannot assume responsibility for your student's safety. At 9:15am, students go directly to the gym.. Students are tardy if they are not in their classrooms by 9:15am and MUST check in at the office for a tardy slip. Students participating in the breakfast program may come between 9:10 and 9:25. Please make every effort to have your student arrive before 9:25am.

Detailed School Schedule

Back to top

What if my student is absent from school?
Please call the school office at 425-844-4550 to report an absence or leave a message at any time.You may also email the office at Please state the reason for your absence. If your student is ill, please give specific details as the state requires us to report illness symptoms. If you do not report your student's absence to the Carnation office, we will consider the absence unexcused. We do make "safe arrival" calls when we have absent students who have not been reported. Always call the school office, even if you have spoken to your student's teacher.

Back to top

What do I do if I have to pick my student up early from school?
To ensure that a child is taken from school only by an authorized person, a note from home must be presented to his/her teacher or office staff or a phone call made to the office before the child is released. When the parent/guardian arrives to pick up their child they will sign the child out and the office staff will call the student down to the office. No one is to leave the school grounds without permission.

Back to top

My student has medication needs during the day. What do I need to do?
All medications, prescriptions and over the counter (including topical creams, cough drops, Tylenol and other various over the counter drugs) must be authorized by a physician using the official district "Oral Medication Authorization" form. For your convenience we can FAX a copy of the form to your doctor after you have filled out the parent section.

Back to top

When to keep your student home, or when your student might be sent home.
If your child is ill to the extent that it will be difficult for him or her to participate in the activities of a normal day, it is best to keep your child home. If your child becomes ill while at school or receives an injury that requires further medical attention, you will be notified immediately.
As a general rule, if your child has a temperature of 100 degrees or above, we will call for them to go home. We will call regarding the following conditions:

Please be sure to notify the office if your child will be absent. For additional health information, you may contact our District Nurse, Kristin Uselman at 425-844-4596

Back to top

I need to change the bus pick up or drop off location, or the way my student normally goes home from school (i.e. picked up by a different person, walking home with someone else, riding the bus to a different location). Whom do I call?
For temporary or occasional changes, always write a note or call the Carnation school office where a note, bus pass will be written for your student. Please call before 2:30 p.m. as the end of the day is a very busy time in our school. For permanent changes in bus transportation, please call the District Transportation Department at 425-844-4540
Back to top

Riverview "Family Access"

The Riverview School District recognizes that many parents would like to play a greater role in their student's education. To make it easier for you to get involved, we can provide you with the ability to view your individual student's school information anytime via a password protected secure website. Parents of Riverview students can view their student's schedule, assignments, grades, attendance, and other general student information. Please contact us for more information.

If you are interested in using eFunds to pay for student fees or lunch payments you will need the four digit Family ID# which is located in Family Access under the "Student Information" tab.


What is the cost for school breakfast or lunch? *Lunch Menu
2021-2022 School Meal Prices FREE

Type of Meal



Elementary School




K-3 $.00 | 4-5th $0.40

K-3 $.00 | $0.00







Back to top

How do I purchase breakfast or lunch for my student?* Lunch Menu
If your student eats school meals daily or even occasionally, you may deposit money into their account. Each student receives a "student number" for their account. As they use that "student number" the account is debited automatically. The same account is used for both breakfast and lunch. You may send in any amount to be deposited. Please be sure that your student's name and teacher's name are on the check, baggie or envelope. Reminders are sent home when funds for two lunches are left on your student's account. If your child forgets to bring in money, they are allowed to "charge" a lunch twice. After that they will be offered an emergency lunch consisting of a cheese sandwich and milk.

e-Funds For Schools
New on-line payment option for families
Riverview now offers an exciting new program to pay for various school fees online. e-Funds for Schools offers options for parents/guardians who choose to make payments on-line and is extremely user friendly. Not only will you have the ability to have school fees and meal payments electronically withdrawn from your checking account or charged to your credit card, you also have the flexibility to make a payment at any time through this link:

e-Funds Logon

The e-Funds For Schools service is offered by a third party service provider who charges for processing your payment(s), similar to other on-line banking services. The district does not request or keep records of family checking or credit card account information. On-line payments will be processed each morning at 6:30am. Payments made after 6:30am will be posted to the following day. Please plan ahead when making food service payments. We will no longer accept credit/debit card payments over the phone for meal payments.
Back to top

My student's lunch account doesn't seem accurate. Whom should I contact?
First call the kitchen cashier at Carnation at 425-844-4575. Please leave a detailed message. You may also call the RSD Food Service Department at 425-844-4560 to speak with Kaye Wetli, Food Services Supervisor. Our school cashier is usually at school from about 11:00 a.m. to 2:00 p.m. She may not be able to return your call until the next day.
Back to top

What is the process for sending notes or money to school?
Students should give all notes and money to the teacher in the morning. Money should be in a Ziploc bag or envelope with the student's name and teacher's name on it. Teachers then send all notes, bus pass requests, and money to the office to be processed. Please include first and last student names when writing notes and put teacher's name on the note also.

Back to top

I am confused about the calendar and am unsure about whether my kindergarten student comes to school on a specific half day. Where can I call to clarify?
The classroom teacher should be able to answer your questions. The CE school office or
RSD receptionist (425-844-4500) can also give you that information. A district calendar is available on the district website. Due to weather issues there may be changes to the calendar. Be sure to sign up for our Constant Contact newsletter, our email communication system for up to date information.
Back to top

What if I have changes to information such as a phone number, address, or emergency contacts?
Please call the Carnation Elementary office with any changes as soon as possible. Our online communication tool, Constant Contact sends emails to families about school activities as well as emergency information, such as weather, that impacts school attendance. Please be sure that the office has your current email address.
Back to top

Where can I find lost and found items?
Our Lost and Found for clothes, backpacks, and lunch boxes located in the office hallway next to the Kitchen. Small items such as jewelry, toys, electronic items, etc. are kept in the office. Please check with one of the secretaries to claim these items. PLEASE write your child's name in coats and hats, lunch boxes, etc. so that they can be returned to their owners.
Back to top

Emergency Closures
Conditions, such as snow, ice, power outages, windstorms, and floods may make it necessary to temporarily alter the operation of schools and/or school buses in the Riverview School District. For the latest closure information for the Riverview School District go to the following link at: School Report or call the Transportation Schedule Line at 425-844-4542. As long as there is power available an email will also be sent out by Constant Contact.
Back to top

If you have any questions about bus transportation, routes, pick up or drop off times please contact the Transportation Office at 844-4540
Back to top

Riverview School District and Carnation Elementary websites
There is a wealth of information about other subjects on the following web sites:

Riverview School District | Carnation Elementary

Constant Contact - Online Communication from the School

Carnation uses an online communication system called Constant Contact that sends our email newsletters and most school event announcements. We are using this instead of a multitude of papers being sent home.

You may sign up to be included in these emails by going to the Carnation Contact Us page, and signing up for the Constant Contact email newsletters.The Riverview School District never sells or gives away this information. This information is entered into your child's private school records.
Back to top